From Zero To BIML
19th June 2017 - 22nd June 2017
Who is it for?
A four-day course aimed at BI developers who want to use Business Intelligence Markup Language (BIML) to generate SQL Server Integration Services packages.
What you will learn
The agenda is:
Lesson 0: Course Introduction
- Training overview, expectations, and introductions.
Lesson 1: SSIS Design Patterns
- Introduction to SSIS Design Patterns and their place in the Data Integration Lifecycle.
- Building an SSIS package that loads a dimension.
- Exercise: Build a Dimension Loader.
Lesson 2: Introduction to the SSIS Catalog
- Deploying an SSIS Project to the SSIS Catalog
- Configuring an SSIS Project in the SSIS Catalog
- Exercise: Deploy and configure an SSIS Project.
Lesson 3: Introduction to C#
- Learn enough C# to use Biml
- Exercise: C# Lab
Lesson 4: Introduction to Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml)
- Biml syntax 100 – How to Cheat
- Exercise: Importing SSIS packages
- Biml syntax 101 – SSIS package basics.
- Exercise: Your first Biml file!
- Biml syntax 102 – Control Flow elements.
- Exercise: Adding Control Flow Tasks in Biml.
- Biml syntax 103 – Data Flow elements.
- Exercise: Adding Data Flow Components in Biml.
Lesson 5: Introduction to BimlScript
- BimlScript 101 – Reference
Lesson 6: Biml Applied
- Biml Objects – The Biml relational hierarchy.
- Exercise: Importing database schemata into the Biml relational hierarchy.
Lesson 7: BimlScript Applied
- Using BimlScript to build a multi-package solution.
- Exercise: Building a multi-package solution.
Lesson 8: Automating Biml
- A Biml-based, metadata-driven custom automation framework for generating data integration solutions.
Lesson 9: Introduction to SSIS Execution Frameworks
- Building a Basic SSIS Catalog-Integrated Framework.
- Exercise: Create an SSIS Framework.
- Configure the Dimension Loader SSIS project in the SSIS Catalog-Integrated Framework.
- Exercise: Test the Dimension Loader in the SSIS Framework.
Lesson 10: Data Integration Lifecycle Management (DILM) and Biml
- Use Biml to automate SSIS Framework metadata management.
The course will include several hands-on labs. Attendees should bring along a laptop with SQL Server and SQL Server Integration Services Integration Services installed. In addition your will need either Biml Express – a free download from Varigence - or preferably the Mist / Biml Studio product, for which a free 14-day trial is available. The .Net exercise will use Visual Studio Express.
At the conclusion of the training, attendees will have been exposed to:
- SSIS Design Patterns and a .Net (C#) Primer: Biml prerequisites.
- An introduction to Biml.
- Using Biml to develop data integration solutions.
- Using Biml to generate SSIS loaders for several data warehouse dimensions.
- Automate a data integration solution using Biml.
- Data Integration Lifecycle Management.
Andy Leonard is a consultant, trainer and author with decades of ETL experience and years of SQL Server Integration Services and BIML experience. He is a BIML Hero and regularly provides advice and free instruction at his blog at SQLBlog.com and on Twitter (@AndyLeonard).
Aldersgate House, 135-137 Aldersgate Street, EC1A 4JA
Cancellations must be submitted in writing, either via email or by post. Registrants whose cancellations are received at least 2 weeks before the beginning of the course are entitled to a full refund minus a £80 processing fee plus any credit card charges incurred. No refunds will be given to registrants who cancel less than 2 weeks before the beginning of the course or who fail to attend.
In the extraordinary case where the course is cancelled a full refund will be given to all paid registrants. Crossjoin Consulting will not refund any other amount paid by registrants to other companies, including travel expenses and hotel reservations.
Chris Webb's Introduction to MDX course was well-run, informative and good value. It gave me a good understanding of the key principles and ideas and how to apply them to real world situations. It was great environment to learn in, with Chris giving excellent practical exercises and having the depth of knowledge to answer to any group questions.